Nottingham-based Richard North, AKA Northy, has set himself a massive challenge: to cycle around the world and he aims to cover 30,000 miles in two years. Northy needed an online presence to help raise money for his trip and a video to share across social networks.
We followed him on one of his base mile training sessions on a chilly day in February and also invited him into the warmth of the WellPlastic studio to interview him about his ambitions.
To capture Northy in the saddle we custom built a tripod to sit in the back of an estate car. Put some more detail here about the trickiness of this, or compare how we did it versus the other ways it can be done. Talk about Rapha perhaps?
Northy only seriously started cycling four years ago, he’s completed a handful of triathlons and is currently training hard, doing base-mile training and longer runs at the weekends with West Bridgford Cycling Club.
His epic journey will take him from Europe to Africa back into Europe then across to Asia and Australia. From there Northy’s will head to South American before crossing the border into North America. As well as cashing in on all the miles he’s put into his training Northy intends to put his building and construction background to good use while completing his challenge. During his journey around Africa Northy will take some time out to volunteer with the international charity CARE to work on building projects and creating homes for people in need.
This aspect of the trip is especially important to Northy. He commented: “Poverty affects so many people across the world, I really want to put my building experience to good use and help to construct shelters to create homes for some of the people I meet on my tour. To be able to do this will be totally amazing.”
In addition to working with CARE Northy is raising money for the following charities:
- CLIC Sargent: a charity caring for children with cancer providing support for families at home and in hospital from the day of diagnosis.
- Help for Heroes: a charity formed to help those who have been wounded in Britain’s current conflicts.
- Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance: an air ambulance based at RAF Waddington that covers the administrative counties of Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.
- RAF Newton Memorial Fund: set up by local residents and veterans to construct a memorial at the former RAF Newton site before it disappears under housing developments.
- WWF – The World Wide Fund for Nature: protects endangered wildlife and environments, tackles climate change and promotes sustainable use of resources.
Donations to Northy’s challenge, which aims to raise money for a number of charities are welcomed via the Where’s Northy? website.